The Benefits And Effectiveness Of Online Tutoring
Online tutoring refers to learning that takes place virtually over the internet. This allows tutors and students to engage and interact from different physical locations. Online learning/ tutoring is a form of distance learning and differs from a traditional classroom.
The main role of a tutor is to assist students and improve their academic outcomes. A tutor’s responsibilities may vary from assisting students with homework, preparing for tests/ exams or focusing on a particular learning aspect that a student struggles with. Learning mostly takes place on a one-on-one basis but can also be group based.
Tutors can engage with student using two different methods, namely:
- Synchronous tutoring – This method involves interaction and participation with the student in real-time. Communication takes place directly with the student via audio’s, videos and texts.
- Asynchronous tutoring – This method differs from the above-mentioned as it does not require both participants to be online at the same time. This method allows the tutor to email all the required material to the student, and the student completes the work and submits it online.
Advantages of online tutoring:
- Private learning environment
- Learning at your own leisure
- Constant communication and feedback during lessons
- Engaging and interactive participation
- Focuses on a student’s weaknesses
- Learning is tailored to the needs of a student
The effectiveness of online tutoring:
As technology evolves so does teaching methods and online learning and we find new ways to adapt. Online tutoring offers a unique way of learning than the traditional way. It is learning that is specifically tailored to the learning needs of a student rather than a collective whole. It offers a lot more flexibility and tailored at your confidence. Learning is done at the leisure and comfort of your own home leaving less time for commuting.
E-learning allows the tutor and pupil to interact and engage virtually rather than meeting face-to-face. The main purpose of a tutor is to help students gain a better understanding of their work, promote independent learning and enhance their skills outside a classroom. Many students feel shy and intimidated to ask questions in front of a large crowd. Tutors encourage students to ask questions without feeling self-conscious. Tutors can tailor their learning styles/ methods to accommodate the student and increase the communication and comfortability of the student.
Lastly, online tutoring provides students with the undivided attention that they need and boosts their self-confidence and learning abilities.